« Home | I'm Back! » | Wondering » | I give up » 

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 

Avoid 'em like the PLAGUE

So, in my criminal defense CLE last night, the speaker was talking about the three people you never want on your jury:

1) Police / Law enforcement

2) Military

3) Engineers

Apparently, engineers don't go off on tangents and can see through "blue smoke and mirrors." You should try to get:

1) Artsy types

2) JDs who never practiced law

3) People wearing odd clothes (bow tie, weird watch)

These people "have great fantasy lives." So, they don't pay attention to what you're saying.

Of course, he was talking about cases where you have no defense except that the state 1) didn't prove all elements and / or 2) is using snitches as witnesses. He said that if you have a case with an actual defense, the above wouldn't apply. ;)

"2) JDs who never practiced law"

HEY! That's not fair. Just because I never tried a case doesn't make me a bad person. I deserve to be on a jury just as much as the confused retiree or bored hausfrau...oh wait, no I don't, I have better things to do than sit on a jury.

Whoa, I agree with Ninja. Your CLE teacher is an ass. I hope I never practice law, but I sure as shit don't live in fantasyland.

Post a Comment